Welcome to Science is So Sexy!!


For more weekly science articles by Esmeralda,


visit www.mybugsandi.com.


See you Soon for more Sexy Science
Great value Unlimited Broadband from an award winning provider

Monday 1 September 2014

Science is So Sexy - the launching pad

My Dear Sexy Readers,

Fantastic and exciting news coming up very soon on Science is So Sexy!!!!

First of all, I'd like to apologise for not updating you on all things amazing and Sciencey for the past 2 months!!!! The reason is I have found a job in medical communications and with a little monster approaching the Terrible Twos, life is a bit hectic!!!

But fear not, Science is So Sexy will keep on living: I will try to keep up with your requests and MOST IMPORTANTLY, Science is So Sexy is welcoming new writers!!!!

I'm very excited about creating a launching pad for scientists who dream about engaging with the public and who would like to make a living off science communication.

As you all know, and as in any field, you are more likely to get a job if you have some experience, but you can't get experience without a job!!! Terrible and frustrating! And the eternal question is How do you gain experience?
I was in this situation not a long time ago and because I myself used this platform to launch my career in medical writing, I thought I could extend it to keen and passionate Science graduates who desperately need this thought-after experience.

So, with that in mind, I'd like to invite everyone to forward/share/pin/tweet this post with someone they think might be interested. There are loads of topics to cover so any scientific/medical background is appropriate.

My only condition is the writers to be of minimum at degree level because I want to make sure the level of Science is maintained and all information can be appropriately and accurately referenced. I think that is why people come back to this blog, because they know there's no crap and sensational BS going on, what is written is proven and tested Science, there's no suppositions nor extrapolations, yet it's interesting and accessible by everyone.

The recruitment process has already begun and I'm happy to announce that we have a couple of new writers who are super excited about embarking on this Sexy Science journey.

I will introduce them to you very soon, but you can already see their names in the right sidebar. I can't wait for you to read what they have been preparing, it's amazingly interesting!!!

So, See you Soon for Some Sexy Science,


10 comments:

  1. What a great idea :) Just discovered your website today - nice to see science in the spotlight! I graduated last year with a First Class (BSc) Hons Life Sciences from the Open University with the aim of launching a career in science. Who knew after 8 years study I'd end up freelance food writing instead! At least I still have a degree to fall back on. :) Out of curiosity, is your launch pad for science writers a paid-per-article position? Best of luck with it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Elizabeth, thank you for commenting. No, unfortunately it's not a paid-per-article position. I wish it could be but it is instead a platform where keen science writers can publish their work so when they go to entry-level position interviews they have something to show in their writing portfolio. That is what I was looking for when I started, I couldn't find anything easily accessible so I created my own platform! It worked and now I want to share it with other people who are desperate to start but don't know where to start. It is of course open to keen scientists who would like to contribute to the project for the pure love of it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad I found your blog via FB. I'm coming to the end of a PhD in vegetation modelling and validation with satellite data and am considering my options outside of academia. I've been writing a food blog for a couple of years as a hobby but I am seriously considering writing as a career option. I'm looking forward to reading more from your blog once I've got my thesis out of the way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jen. Fantastic news! What amazes me is that we are never told that within medical communications, there are so many job opportunities in different types of agencies such as PR, Advertising, Market research and such. When we are told at Uni about medical writing, it's usually only about medical education and publication planning when actually there's so much more, exciting and creative options! Let me know if you'd be keen to contribute to the blog. Are you based in London? Of course as a blogger yourself, you could start your own unique platform to showcase your scientific writing skills :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Would you be interested in filling this form for me? It is a short survey I created about People's interest for Science. As soon as I have enough replies, I'm planning on writing a nice article on it.
    https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1EXQYmg5uj_MhsDLRjptMt3OkEZ3PHwHVf3I1N2HOv_I/viewform

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jen, would you be interested in filling this form for me? It is a short
    survey I created about People's interest for Science. As soon as I have
    enough replies, I'm planning on writing a nice article on it.

    https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1EXQYmg5uj_MhsDLRjptMt3OkEZ3PHwHVf3I1N2HOv_I/viewform

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Esmeralda, I'm not in medicine or even biology but you're right, not enough is done to inform us of the alternative options. My research interests include climate change, carbon cycling and satellite observations and I'm based near London. Despite tearing my hair out over the thesis I still really enjoy writing and it would be fantastic if I could go further with it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. ooooo climate change? That is one subject that needs addressing on here. Would you agree to write an article on it for us? I think people would luuuurve to finally understand what the hell is going on!!!!
    Let me know, but if you do, could you fill this form? yeah I know another one, I just love those Google drive forms you can make up they look so professional ;)
    https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1yw8mKqhF4zOyw-P86M-Prswct1PIOckzXWL3HS6O1gc/viewform

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Sharing is Sexy

Great value Unlimited Broadband from an award winning provider