Welcome to Science is So Sexy!!


For more weekly science articles by Esmeralda,


visit www.mybugsandi.com.


See you Soon for more Sexy Science
Great value Unlimited Broadband from an award winning provider

Sunday 8 December 2013

Did you Know? #6 - Blond hair are not only found in Europe

My Dear Sexy Readers,

Today we are resuming our "Did you know?" series on a fascinating subject that took its stem in our recent SSS post "The genetics behind hair colours".


 
Natural Blond hair on Solomon islands 
When I was researching the genetic variations behind hair colours and looking through pins on Pinterest to illustrate this, I stumbled upon something I never knew! In Melanesia and particularly on Solomon islands where people have predominantly a dark skin, the occurance of blond hair is almost 10%! Which is as much as in Northern Europe! Contrary to the European genetic complexicity, this blond hair trait is located on a single gene located on chromosome 9 and could account for 50% of all the blond people checked out (reference)!

Did you Know Collection


4 comments:

  1. I love this kind of information - thank you. So interesting. I find genetics absolutely fascinating. Great pic too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sarah, Thank you for your comment. Yes me too. I you are interested in similar posts I have also written a post on genetics behind hair colours, and eye colours. Just check the Previously on SSS tab. See you Soon

      Delete
  2. Genetics is so interesting and intriguing don't you think? I never knew you could be of African origin or have dark skin and have blonde hair!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Melissa, indeed it is. The other day, I went to my toddler's group and met a mum there who is of African origin and her daughter is the blondest, fairest child - she took after her fair skin and hair Dad!! So beautiful!

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Sharing is Sexy

Great value Unlimited Broadband from an award winning provider